»

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Serpents and Doves.

So how do I defeat my self serving motives?




The obvious answers here are:

Be like Jesus

Live the Word of God.



Cool, how's that going for you?

I'll tell how I'm fighting for those things.



Mathew 10:16 is an interesting and curious verse.

It reads like this in the new king James: (Jesus is talking to his disciples.)

16) "Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves."

Without going into the behavioral comparisons to sheep and wolves/predator and prey, I really want to concentrate on the last half of the verse:


"There fore be as wise as Serpents and harmless as doves."


I started to meditate on this verse after several different people mentioned it to me over a period of about two weeks. I just kept hearing this verse.

In Leviticus 12:8 the scriptures tell us what a new mother should bring before the Lord as a sin offering and atonement sacrifice for those who are unable to bring a Lamb to the alter. It is, in fact, two turtle doves or two young pigeons.

In regards to us in the world, God calls us to be as harmless as doves. In this reference I believe Jesus was speaking of the lowliest most affordable offering and sacrifice. Even the poorest of souls could afford the dove offering.

The interesting thing about an object of sacrifice is that it's purpose is already decided. In many cases, even before it's birth. It simply is what it is. It is a one time offering, yet we are called, through Christ, to be more. Paul said that we are to be a living sacrifice. A perpetual sacrifice, if you will; a continual present tense with present purpose. Paul also said, "I die daily."

An object of sacrifice is an object of harmless, humble existence towards the benefit of others. Its power is in its fulfilled purpose. It neither needs to fight for its preservation nor defend the life it has.

0 comments: